Monday, November 22, 2010

Wise Words Of Maynard

"I'm very resistant to the idea of being a public-servant and it being my responsibility to educate because i'm not really qualified to do any of those things. I write these songs to move through some pain or work out some issues and if i'm succesful in my art and my expression, I shouldn't feel the same way I did when I wrote those songs anymore and there should be a logical progression but if, as an artist, I can express myself in some way that ends up helping someone else get through some hard times, I guess that's great for everybody. It helps other people. The problem with the music industry in general is that artists get into it because they have a desire to be desired and a desire to scream their heads off for whatever issue happened to them in the past, they weren't armed with the proper tools to move through any trauma (divorce/loss of parents). At some point they get popular and now they're part of an industry that's run by people that are uneducated emotionally. In a way it's kind of a dead end. In this society, we expect those artists to continue screaming to the end of their days. If you don't eventually feel better, i'm not sure how effective your screaming was and your screaming is gonna help somebody else so I should work out of those issues and move onto some other challanges. If the songs don't help me, how are they gonna help you?

No comments: